Stay Safe When Using Open Fire to Keep Warm

Posted by & filed under , .

Finally, the predicted rains are upon us. We figure that most of us, if not everyone, will be trying to keep warm through any means possible. While some of us will snuggle up to keep warm, let’s not forget that others will be using open fire or electrical heaters in the house to keep warm during this cold and wet weather. Sometimes we forget that this is hazardous if not done correctly. Why not take precautions to ensure that you and your family are safe from possible fire, fire related accidents or carbon monoxide poisoning?

Stay-Safe-When-Using-Open-Fire-to-Keep-Warm

Before you use open fire, e.g.; a jiko or an unguarded fireplace, consider these possibilities:

  • You could forget to put out the fire at your unguarded fireplace, which could lead to sparks/ fire flying onto flammable items and causing fire in your household.
  • You could forget to open windows while using your jiko inside the house, or you could forget to take your jiko outside before you go to sleep, which could cause carbon monoxide inhalation and poisoning.
  • You could be using a faulty electrical heater that may cause an electrical fire at your house, especially because of the power surges being caused by the rains.

So what can you do to prevent such fires and the loss that comes with them?

  • Make sure that your fireplace is guarded so that fire and sparks do not fly around the house.
  • If your fireplace is not guarded, make sure that there are no flammable items in sight, such as carpets, rugs, blankets and sofas.
  • Do not use jikos in enclosed areas. Always allow oxygen circulation to ensure that no one gets carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • Check to be sure the heater is clean and in good condition. Thoroughly inspect the cord and plug of electrical heaters for damage

As an added precaution, why not protect yourself comprehensively by getting a domestic insurance cover? Keep in mind that you are only human and cannot protect your home from all possible fires associated to the wet weather. For example, sometimes electrical fires are unavoidable, especially if you live in a building of rental houses, where you aren’t the one responsible for maintenance in the building. If electrical wiring is not properly done, then there’s a possibility that electrical surges, due to the rains, could easily cause a fire. Domestic insurance covers your household items from the loss that can occur due to such a fire.

With the Madison Insurance Domestic Package, you are covered from such incidents. This package even covers you beyond fire damage. It covers you comprehensively from loss of and/or damage resulting from fire, lightning, subterranean fire, flood, storm, hurricane, impact with moving objects, water damage etc. Get covered today! http://www.madison.co.ke/personal-lines/domestic-package.html

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*